Monday, January 18, 2016

Final Update for Nzimbeng



The water project in Nzimbeng is also (mostly) finished! They have completed building the storage tank and filter and last weekend they finished digging and we connected all the pipeline and built stand taps. 



Unfortunately, the catchment the local technician built at the river was not quite what the engineer had designed. The engineer will come out to see if it will still work or if modifications or rebuilding are necessary. Aside from that hitch, however, the system is complete and ready to go! The Nzimbeng people have been incredibly motivated and hardworking. They are so thankful for the chance to have water. They are eager to have everything working and are doing everything in their power to get it to that point. I would like to thank everyone who contributed to the project—we are all very grateful. 


The Nimbeng people showed their thanks to me by messages into the concrete and by giving a gorgeous handcrafted statue. The statue depicts community members rising up a central figure to show how the community came together to support me and lift me up. 



I am so happy for them and cannot wait for them to have a functional system! While I will not see the end of this project, my replacement volunteer is more than ready to take over, and I know she will help them succeed getting water. 



No comments:

Post a Comment