Monday, January 18, 2016

Final Update for Akid



Akid’s water project has (mostly) finished! We have spent the past several weeks putting on the final touches. We connected all of the pipeline, finished constructing the filter, and built stand taps. 



We started the pump and the water reached the filter, but unfortunately the pump stopped. We are having the engineer come out to inspect it to determine the problem, but after that, hopefully it will be a fully operational water system! Thank you to everyone who donated to the project and made this system possible! The people of Akid are beyond happy, and I am incredibly grateful to you for giving me the chance to help this wonderful village.




And I really do mean wonderful. In order to celebrate the close of my service, the people of Akid threw an incredible party! First, they made me a matching outfit with the chief (a traditional cabbah and jumper). 


Then, they created a feast with chicken and rice (both big honors) and lots of wine and drinks. They didn’t stop there. They had a local man carve several traditional wooden dishes for me. They are absolutely beautiful and simply an enormous gesture from the community. 


They wrote a heartfelt speech, causing me to cry, (and causing several grown men to cry as well). They finished the day by giving me a plot of land. I am supposed to build my house here within a year. Thank you Akid. 


No comments:

Post a Comment