Monday, August 10, 2015

Best Day Ever!


I just had an awesome day and figured I’d let you know what constitutes “awesome” out here. I woke up and had a cup of hot chocolate. Power was on. I got to watch a TV show. I had sunflower seeds for breakfast. It stopped raining! I hiked out to my water project site, which is about and hour and a half away. It was all misty and beautiful and not hot, which makes for the best walking conditions. I met a bunch of people I knew on the way and even got two marriage proposals (along with the offer of a plot of land, should I accept).
            “What did you bring me?”
            “Nothing, what did you bring me?”
            “I have a plot of land for you! You can garden it.”
            “You know I don’t know how to farm.”
            “That’s why I’ve told you to marry me already. I will teach you how to farm your plot when you marry me!”
Then I reached the village and the entire community was doing labor for the project! Every single person was working! Then a boy killed a viper! They cut it up and cooked it and I got to eat it and it was so nice! Then, the Chief and a few other “big men” (very important people) showed up! I was given a glass of wine. They took me back in their car! I got to ride in a car! They gave me bread! And 5 cans of soda! Then I went to see my counterpart and she had prepared me my favorite local meal, ndole! It was fantastic.

Also, I can’t wait for the days when some bread and soda aren’t the basis for an awesome day. But for now, it’ll do!

No comments:

Post a Comment