Sunday, January 4, 2015

Family Visit



My whole family came out to visit me in Cameroon and it was one of those typical family visits, full of fufu, songs about me, and a goat. It was a wild time. They arrived in Yaoundé, the capital of Cameroon, which was a bit of a rude awakening for them. The city is loud and constantly bustling, and right from the moment they landed they were being hassled. We escaped to a small beach town the next morning where we ate fresh fish and took a canoe ride up a river to a pygmy village. 


Our next stop was the town of Limbe, famous for its black sand beaches. 


After those few days of general luxury and relaxation (although here, my family might disagree), we headed up to my own village. The community was beyond thrilled to receive my family. Each section of the village wanted a role to play. Every person we passed on the road wanted to shake their hands and hug them and bless them and buy them a beer. People were literally fighting over who got to buy them drinks. (In that instance, they eventually decided they would pay for separate rounds). After several drinks we finally made it down to the neighborhood where I first lived. 


They went all out and decorated the house with balloons and ribbons. They gave a few speeches in honor of my parents and prepared a giant feast! There were drinks, palm wine, rice, fufu, ndole, vegetable, plantain, sauce, chicken, and fish. Then, the women performed a few original songs in honor of my family’s arrival. Our favorite featured the line, “whitemen are in our midst.” The next morning we went to Akid, which is one of the communities that is getting a new water system. They were so excited that they had decorated the whole roadway coming up to the village with flowers and palm fronds. This celebration was not only to welcome my family, but was also to name me the mother of their village. I now also have the name “Nyah Akid,” or “mother of Akid” for the work I have done to bring water to their community. It was an incredible honor. They gave a few speeches explaining that water gives life, and they see me as responsible for bringing potable water to their community, and thus I have given them life, just like a mother. They stated that I am the mother of every child of Akid and performed a few songs that dubbed me with my new title. Then, in a final flourish, they presented my family with a live goat. They wanted my family to bring it back to America with them, but after a few explanations about the rules and regulations of airplanes, it was ultimately decided the goat would stay with me. So I am now the proud and clueless owner of a ram. (In fact, I have so little idea of what to do with a ram, I went to my counterpart for help and the ram spent his first night in the male ward of the hospital). 


The party did not end there though, as we were then ushered to a big party in the center of town. There were more speeches, lots of drink, and so much food! There was fufu, plantain, rice, ndole, beans, fried rice, vegetables, fish, chicken, and more! Some of the children in the community performed traditional dances and played drums. 

It was a wonderful event! The next morning, a neighbor brought over food and then we went to our next party. We went to Nzimbeng, which is a very remote community. We walked over the bamboo bridges together and once there, they fed us pasta, rice, chicken, sweet potato, and sauces. Then they performed songs with lyrics like, “our Peace Corps’ name is Allely Albert who will go down in the history of Muambong health center,” and other classics like those. They also performed traditional dances. After many photos and goodbyes, we began our journey back. 


The next morning my adventurous family agreed to get on motorcycles for over an hour and a half to leave town. Before we left, my family had to be given several outfits from the local tailor and food to eat on the way from my counterpart. Finally, we climbed on our motorcycles and took off. It was incredible to have my family here and to be able to show them my life. It was really a wonderful experience and I am thankful to everyone in my village who welcomed them. 

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful account of what must have been an amazing time together.

    Best wishes,

    Johnny Musgrove

    ReplyDelete